CineFilipino 2013 Finalists Named
CineFilipino 2013 Finalists (back row from left to right) Mike Alcazaren, Ato Bautista, CineFilipino Festival Director Vince Nebrida, Mes de Guzman, Randolph Longjas, Ron Bryant, (front row from left to right) Kiri and Sari Dalena, Sigrid Andrea Bernardo, and Janice Perez.
CineFilipino recently announced its eight finalists who will each receive a PhP1.5 million seed grant to produce next-generation indie films. They are:
1. Mes de Guzman — Ang Kwento Ni Mabuti (features a healer named Mabuti who finds a bag containing P5 million)
2. Ato Bautista – Mga Alaala Ng Tag-Ulan (a coming of age love story of a young man‘s first encounter with love, romance and heartbreak)
3. Sigrid Andrea Bernardo – Ang Huling Cha-Cha Ni Anita (tells the story of a 12-year-old girl who falls in love with a 35-year-old woman; years later, a girlhood crush blossoms during the fiesta of Santa Clara in Obando, Bulacan)
4. Byron “Ron” Bryant — Bingoleras (a comedy about six single women whose lives intersect when a bingo marathon is launched in their church for the barangay fiesta)
5. Sari Dalena and Kiri Dalena — The Guerilla Is A Poet (this narrative film has elements of a documentary in depicting an activist‘s journey during Martial Law until his capture in the mountains and the nine years of imprisonment that followed, leading to his birth as a poet)
6. Miguel “Mike” Alcazaren — Puti (Achromatopsia) - a film about a forger who figures in a freak car accident that caused him to develop achromatopsia. This condition renders the person to see only the colors black/white/gray and nothing else)
7. Janice Perez — The Muses (singer Kitchie Nadal conceptualized the plot, which is inspired by the Biblical story of Martha and Mary; the movie tells a story of sibling rivalry in the music business where two sisters find the hidden truths about fame, family and their own selves)
8. Randolph Longjas — Ang Turkey Man Ay Pabo Rin (a cross-cultural comedy about a Filipino-American couple who have to deal with superstitious in-laws, immigration laws, and unexpected pregnancies)
The 2013 Cine Filipino Film Festival is scheduled to take place from June 26 to July 3, 2013.