Week 1, December 25 - 31, 2008:
1. Ang Tanging Ina N'yong Lahat - 102.5M
2. Iskul Bukol: 20 Years After - 72.6M
3. Shake, Rattle & Roll X - 45.7M
4. Desperadas 2 - 27.3M
5. Baler - 24.5M
6. One Night Only - 5.7M
7. Dayo - 4.1M
8. Magkaibigan- 1.6M
Week 2, January 01 - 07, 2009:
1. Ang Tanging Ina N'yong Lahat - 68.5M
2. Iskul Bukol: 20 Years After - 34.4M
3. Shake, Rattle & Roll X - 22.3M
4. Desperadas 2 - 22.0M
5. Baler - 11.3M
6. One Night Only - 4.8M
7. Dayo - 1.5M
8. Magkaibigan- 0.5M
Over-All Gross Receipt
1. Ang Tanging Ina N'yong Lahat - 171.0M
2. Iskul Bukol: 20 Years After - 107.0M
3. Shake, Rattle & Roll X - 68.0M
4. Desperadas 2 - 49.3M
5. Baler - 35.8M
6. One Night Only - 10.5M
7. Dayo - 5.6M
8. Magkaibigan- 2.1M
As of January 7, 2009, MMFF overall earning is at 449.3M. This is way above the 2007 and 2006 final earnings of 380.3M and 414.5M respectively.
Two years after Season 4, the Kapuso talent search that discovered some of this generation’s brightest stars like Jennylyn Mercado, Mark Herras, Katrina Halili, Aljur Abrenica, among others, is coming back on GMA-7 with subtitled "Elite Explosion".
Jolina Magdangal and Raymond Gutierrez will return as hosts of the Starstruck. Dingdong Dantes will be replaced by Balikbayan host Drew Arellano, due to his busy schedules.
Joey de Leon and Ida Henares will return as judges, together with Iza Calzado as the third judge. Mike Tuviera will be the new director and the new studio of GMA will be the new home of StarStruck.
1. Elite Final 14: PhP 5,000 per week and 4-year Exclusive contract wih GMA Network and GMA Artist Center.
2. Elite Love Team: each will receive 2 million exclusive contract from GMA Network, 1 million cash, franchise of Pinoy Waffle, endorsement contract with Bench, and a movie under Regal Films
3. Elite Survivor: 3 million exclusive contract from GMA Network, 2 million cash, franchise of Pinoy Waffle, endorsement contract with Bench, 3 movie contract with Regal Films, and 3 movie contract with GMA Films
In the show, Zac Efron beats a sailor over the head with a beer bottle, dumps his body in the ocean and manically laughs about it.
Zac even gets to belt out his own rendition of Billy Joel’s “The Piano Man”! But in the end… his character gets brutally stabbed to death.
Watch the video below. This, I must say, is very amusing. Enjoy!
When GMA Network aired the Korean series Full House in 2004, it received a peak rating of 52%. Now, the Kapuso network has decided to make it’s own Philippine version of the show.
As of this post, the leading man role is still reserved for Richard Gutierrez (who will soon star in the local remake of Zorro). He will play the role of 'Justine', originally portrayed by Asian Heartthrob Rain.
And who is Justine?
Justine is a top Korean actor. He does his utmost not to hurt other people and not to be hurt himself. Every movie he starred in became a blockbuster. He is stubborn when it comes to selecting which movies to star in, but he has received much acclaim for his talent. Although Young-Jae always behaves and speaks as he wants, he does that only to protect himself from being hurt and not to hurt others. People think of him as a very candid person, but that is also Young-Jae’s strategy to hide himself – or rather his failure to express himself to the fullest. As one who is unaccustomed to being frank and open, Young-jae is bad at making friends and very proud of his ideals and principles. He deeply loves his childhood friend, Hye-Won, even though she shows him no affection. One day, he stumbles upon Ji-Eun and slowly falls in love with her.
Wilma Galvante also mentioned last year that the role of Jessie Han, the female lead in Full House, is reserved for Marian Rivera. Now, will it be possible that Marian’s next project after And Babaeng Hinugot Sa Aking Tadyang is to be the local 'Jessie Han'?
Jessie is the woman lead character of the drama. It is shown as a cheerful, optimistic and loyal girl to her friends. Naive and not very smart, she is shown as a character with spunk and a good heart as displayed in her never ending quest to be a writer. Her journey with Young Jae(Bi) is filled with trials and (at first) unrequited love. She is best described as an orphaned online novelist who lives in a beautiful house (called FULL HOUSE-named by her father) which she inherited from her parents. Her troubles started when her closest friends tricked her by sending her on a trip to Shanghai so they could sell her house behind her back. When she returned, she found out the house was sold and she had nowhere to go. The person who bought the house is the famous movie star Lee Young Jae and the only way she could stay was if she would be his personal maid.
Do you think Marian could give justice to the role?
It is topbilled by the new Kapamilya love team Maja Salvador and Geoff Eigenmann. Other leading cast are Jodi Sta. Maria and Rafael Rosell.
The shooting of Moon River (previously titled Blue River) started last year with some parts being revised with pending approval from the ABS-CBN Executives.
In supporting roles are Ella Cruz, Chin Chin Gutierrez, Tonton Gutierrez, Precious Lara Quigaman, Kim Frances Elumba and Rina Labelle Romero.
What do you think of the movie poster? Love it? or Hate it?
The reviewers MTRCB said that the controversial rape scenes in the movie are not fit for public viewing. But critically-acclaimed Director Adolfo Alix, Jr., who also wrote the script for Aurora stands by his cut of the film and is currently appealing the decision to Malacañang.
The film explores an intimate portrait of a captor and a captive as they both struggle to survive in the depths of a jungle.
Synopsis: A social worker named Aurora (Rosanna Roces) is kidnapped by members of the Lost Command. After a military raid in the middle of the night, she gets lost in the forest. She walks aimlessly in the thick forest, hoping to find her way out to freedom. She is found by Fadi (Sid Lucero), one of her captors. Aurora tries every way in order to run away. Will she see the break of dawn alive?
Here is the partial list of 6th Gawad Tanglaw winners:
Anita Linda - Adela
Judy Ann Santos - Ploning
John Estrada - Caregiver
Baron Geisler - Jay
Best Supporting Actress:
Boots Anson-Roa - Lovebirds
Best Supporting Actor:
Emilio Garcia - Walang Kawala
Dante Nico Garcia
Presidential Jury Award for Film Excellence:
Gawad Tanglaw ng Pelikulang Pilipino:
Robbie Tan of Seiko Films
Gawad Tanglaw is composed of film critics, scholars, historians, and professors of humanities. The awards night is happening in March 2009.
Angel Locsin revealed the said project when she guested on 'Boy and Kris' last Monday, January 5. Angel said that she is excited to start her new tv project that will is set to hit the primetime line-up of ABS-CBN soon.
Angel Locsin and Sam Milby first worked together in 'Pilat'episode of Maalaala Mo Kaya last October of 2007 where Angel won her first acting award.
Jolina Magdangal confirmed the break-up with Bebong Muñoz, her boyfriend for more than six years.
This was also confirmed by Jolina’s dad, Jun Magdangal, thru PEP and Ricky Lo's Philippine Star column.
"On Christmas Eve, the whole family had our noche buena. The next day, Christmas Day, we were at home entertaining our relatives. On Dec. 26, the whole family went to Tagaytay, except for Jolina who stayed behind because she said she was fixing her things; aayusin daw niya ang kanyang room. She followed us on Dec. 28 and that’s when she very casually told us that she had broken up with Bebong. Ganoon lang ka-simple.”
Even if he noticed that something was "unusual" (like Bebong’s absence at the Magdangal residence last Christmas), Jun said that he kept things to himself and didn’t bother to ask Jolina.
But Daddy Jun was sure that there’s no "third party" in the break-up.
Bebong left on Dec. 30 for the States where he’s going to work for a while. But he still manage to said his piece through a text message sent to Ricky Lo, "I’m in the States for a couple of weeks. I am still trying to understand what is happening and I am not prepared to talk about it. Happy to answer your questions when I sort everything out. I hope you understand. Thanks."
The list came from various sector of our entertainment industry - from music, to film, television, and fashion. This year's biggest loveteam, the stars that reality tv shows built, Pinoy international breakthrough, and even Pinoy genuises who will make it big this year.
Here's Tim Yap's fearless list of 29 people to watch out for in 2009, including the reasons why:
KC Concepcion. If you think the past year was supremely lorded over by KC Concepcion, think again. This girl never stops — not even during the holiday season. Already she is busy filming her second movie with Richard Gutierrez under GMA Films, which will have a first-quarter Valentine’s Day ’09 release. Aside from all her showbiz commitments, she still stays solid in her pledge to the UN Ambassador Against World Hunger and continues to raise funds all year ‘round for the cause.
Make Up Forum. This artistic team never fails to amaze the Supreme team with their professionalism and artistry, making them the makeup team to beat in 2009.
Eugene Domingo. You can’t fake timing, and this comedian is a master of it. We would watch premiere nights for local films and sit back as Eugene does all the work while the audience just sits back and laughs. People do not know that she is also a UP professor by day, and is equally comfortable and effective doing drama. Given the right vehicle, Eugene’s star can shine even brighter.
John Tracy Cruz. This young architect from Globe Asiatique has been giving our skies a boost with his signature roundabout designs that make the world go ‘round. His residential and business projects have been sold-out successes and he has carved out a reputation for being the architecture world’s “box office king.”
JC Tiuseco. We will be seeing a lot of this ultimate Survivor on GMA, where he is now making the rounds of the talk shows, eliciting squeals from fans and network heads at the same time. If he succeeds, he will be the year’s most shining reality TV star. End of last year, he had already tucked a host of endorsements under his Mercator Model belt, all of which will be unveiled this year.
Chris Martinez. The director of the indie film “100″ wowed audiences and made them look at death in a whole new light. Now if you can do that in a Catholic country all scared to die, then you really have something going on, I guess. Can’t wait for him to make more obras.
Karylle. "I believe that Karylle is a sleeping dragon who will now arise to full stardom," an industry insider shares with us. "This girl has handled her breakup with enough class and sass! Anyone who turns her single status into a hot Bench ad has the oomph to make it in ’09!" said Romina, a marketing executive. Aside from ASAP, she is about to star in two ABS-CBN soaps, release an album on EMI, snag endorsements and more — and she has all the K in the world — attagirl!
Richard Gutierrez. You’ll see him with KC in their Valentine Day’s movie and this year you’ll also see him go back to former sweetheart Anne Curtis for yet another movie. On TV, he’ll once again enchant the kids and the chicks when he plays the masked marauder Zorro — where he might play opposite Pinoy showbiz darling Iza Calzado — that Richard G, that ends with a Z.
Aries Lagat. He not only impressed the Project Runway Philippines judges with his technical and design skills, he also wowed TV audiences with his wit and catty humor. Are we going to see “It” girls and hot recessionistas wear his stuff this year? Let’s see.
Dante Nico Garcia. If 'Ploning' makes it to the Oscars, then Direk Dante will be the first Filipino from Cuyo, Palawan to be able to attend this global gethering to salute the best in the world of cinema. If his Ploning gained rave reviews from critics and auidences alike for its quiet and beautiful story telling, we can only imagine the other stories that Direk Nico has to tell. We’re all ears, and all eyes.
Akihiro Sato. Not just the model, but the actor. Sure, he is back in Brazil now to be with his family, but when he comes back to Manila this March, he is faced with countless offers to do television and movie work. He is still deep into his studies of the Filipino language, and if he succeeds, this will catapult him into crossover stardom like no other.
Ely Buendia and Pupil. People should get their heads over the Eraserheads and listen up to Pupil, Ely Buendia’s latest incarnation. At the NU107 Rock Awards last year, they won seven awards, including Artist of the Year, enough proof of their watch-out-for-ability. Ely’s back, back again. And you better be ready.
Bugoy and Laarni Lozada. Their 'Pinoy Dream Academy' experience gave them the necessary exposure and the essential tutelage from masters of the music and performing arts universe. This world always needs new pied pipers and based on their new hits and increased following, these two could be it.
Anne Curtis. She ended the year with a Metro Manila Film Festival Best Actress trophy, which upped her level immediately as a lead actress, and not just as a pretty face. But she is such a pretty face and effective endorser (she has at least three major campaigns that will be launched within this first quarter) that this year, she is set to reign. “It”-dom is hers, and this year will see the rise and rise of goddess, Anne Curtis.
The Next MTV VJ. Will this year see the resurrection of the VJ? Young kids still love music, they still love their MTV. We know it’s never too late, and all it takes is the right person at the right time. Will this year prove to be it? We shall see…
Paolo, Gab and Kiana Valenciano. Supreme was there when the Valenciano siblings each did a number with their dad Gary V during his 25th anniversary concert and we must say, that pure, energetic talent runs intheir veins! Paolo is a rocker that is gtting better as the years go by and Gabriel is up there as a dancer, comfortable in multiple genres from hip hop to boogie (his recent boogie dance number at the “Katy” tribute with KC Concecpcion brought the house down!). Both guys are song writers and producers. Kiana has a beautiful, captivating morena face and a beautful voice perfect for R&B but is still a reluctant star. I think this is theri year to step it all up!
Wolfgang and Razorback. They’re putting the rock back into rock and roll. With a new album on the horizon, fans of these ‘90s rock gods will once again rise to the occasion, proving to all that music knows no boundaries, especially age. Lizza Nakpil put it best when she told Supreme, “My fearless, zipless forecast: Testosterone. Music with balls and the intensity and the originality to stand its ground in a very uncertain world. Only music with authenticity will resonate. No more phonies or poseurs. Time to tell the men from the boys.”
Solenn Heussaff. This multi-multi-hyphenate is a model-makeup artist-designer-party girl all rolled into one sexy package. When she’s not having a ball at Fiamma, this lady shuffles being an accredited makeup artist for Make Up For Ever with being a designer at Tan Gan all at the same time. She also just recently launched her own shoe line. Supreme says, if you can do it and still be that gorgeous, then by all means, do it!
Bea Soriano. If designer to the stars Randy Ortiz declares that she is “it,” then she is it. Ortiz’s big gala last year focused on this new fashion star who reminds us of Maggie Q mixed with Gong Li. Her classic Asian features and even classier demeanor makes her a cut above the rest. Welcome fashion’s brightest and hottest.
JC De Vera. Ruffa Gutierrez has this to say about this junior hearthrob who has come of age, “Most of the women and gay guys I know think he’s hot including those I work with in ABS-CBN, to think he’s a GMA artist. He acts well and has unique features that could launch a thousand ships.” She should know, don’t ya think? We watched his Obra series and we must say we do agre with Ruffa, grabeehhh!
Ang Bandang Shirley. DJ, music lover, evangelist and cancer surivor Benjo Marquez has this to say about the band: “I am a big fan of Ang Bndang Shirley, an indie band on Terno Recordings. They have a sound that is both global and yet very Filipino. Their songs are in Tagalog but their musical aesthetic is up there with Death CabFor Cutie, Toe and the Go Team! Their lyrics are relevant and clever yet very catchy and easy to sing to. Plus all the band members are nice and have no airs about them.”
Manuel of Pinoy Fear Factor. There are a lot of reasons to catch Pinoy Fear Factor, but our fearless forecast is that, aside from Jommy Teotico and Jose Sarasola, the one whose star will shine brightly among this batch is Manuel Chua, Jr. Well, he may even win the competition if our crystal ball is correct.
Charice Pempengco and Charlie Green. These two Pinoys were recognized on foreign shores before we embraced them, so they are the de facto OFW singing superstars, YouTube megastars, up-and-coming concert kings and queens — whatever you call them, they make Filipinos proud. We need more of them.
Sarah Geronimo-John Lloyd Cruz. Last year, their team-up was such a phenomenal hit, expect a follow-up project for this sensational duo. What’s great about these two is that they have shattered time-tested formulas for love teams. They proved that when you put two really good artists together, combined with a great script, it can really work. Individually, they are also given the right exposure to be able to shine, so guys, bring it on!
10. Luningning. One writer describes Luningning as the only reason he continues to watch Wowowee. Luningning's sexiness on television can be described as "wholesome," appealing not only to the adult audience but to the young Luningning-wannabes who dream of a dance showdown with her.
9. Bianca King. This La Salle-College of St. Benilde filmmaking major seems to have mastered the art of playing baddie while looking hot at the same time. Kinda like the way the veteran actress Rosa Rosal used to essay her vampy contravida characters in the old black and white Tagalog films—scheming, evil but sizzling-hot sexy. Another reason for Bianca making it to the list is just how natural her sexy curves are. Not an ounce of fat; sexiness untouched by cosmetic science, just as nature intended.
8. Daiana Menezes. Our bella amiga from Brazil came to Manila in 2006 and fell in love with our country. We Pinoys reciprocated by making her our favourite Brazilian. After taking over the job fellow Brazilian model Ariani Nogueira left in Eat Bulaga!, Pinoys have delighted in Daiana's sexy charm, her flawless curvaceous bod, twisted Tagalog, and her love for almost anything Pinoy.
7. Anne Curtis. Svelte and sexy, this half-Australian, half-Filipina Kapamilya is considered by her fans (both male and female) as a real goddess when it comes to beauty and sexiness. Her Angelina Jolie-bee-stung lips add more to her striking sex appeal in her beach scenes in When Love Begins, in her different magazine spreads, and in the publicity photos and trailer of her show Dyosa.
6. Michelle Madrigal. Petite and sexy, this olive-skinned stunner always turns heads every time she dons her sexy swimsuit. As Berbola in Dyesebel, male televiewers wait for her prosthetic hair to be swept aside so they can catch a glimpse of her breasts—as if that could happen.
5. Marian Rivera. FHM Philippines' sexiest woman for 2008 wowed her audience with her sexy samba moves in Marimar in 2007. After that, this half-Filipina, half-Spanish Cavitena's male followers excitedly glued their eyes to their TV screens for Marian's role as Dyesebel, the topless mermaid who swam her way to everyone's heart.
4. Ehra Madrigal. The bosomy Kapuso got the number 6 spot in the FHM Philippines' 100 sexiest women list. But her fans think she should be on the number one spot, or at least a higher ranking than 6, since she was on the cover of the leading men's magazine twice (2006 and 2008) and was also in the top 10 of the 100 sexiest list of FHM twice.
3. Katrina Halili. Two-time FHM sexiest Filipina, three-time FHM cover girl, two-time FHM calendar girl, Belo Medical Group image model and said to be the reason behind the Dra. Vicki Belo-Dr. Hayden Kho breakup. Need we say more? But the first StarStruck alumna to be on the cover of the country's leading men's magazine fell short of the number one spot in this little survey by PEP. The respondents think it has something to do with the way she shifted her image from bad and sexy to a wholesome underdog goodie.
2. Angel Locsin. She has always been considered one of the sexiest stars in local showbiz. In fact, she was FHM Philippines' sexiest woman of 2005, the Philippines' hottest woman of 2008 by Maxim Philippines, and was also given the "Road Distraction Award" by the first Supreme to the Extreme Awards for her very sexy Folded & Hung billboards. Her Lobo "nude" scenes (after shape-shifting from wolf to human) were much discussed in fan web forums, as well as by tabloid columnists who noted how Angel's present home studio, ABS-CBN, has finally recognized and tapped her sex appeal.
1. Cristine Reyes. She might have landed the cover of FHM only in 2007, but the adoration and excitement for Cristine continued until 2008. And as the year ended, her male fans just can't get enough of her in Eva Fonda and Banana Split. Some of the male respondents of this little survey by PEP opined that flawless and voluptuous Cristine is sure to grab the top spot in next year's Philippines' sexiest list, if the right projects continue and if some minor tweaking on her image-packaging will be done.
10. Will Devaughn. Girls like his rugged mixed Filipino-African-American-German looks, plus the fact that he is not shy about showing off his sexy body.
9. Jon Avila. The Fil-Irish muffin's sexy green eyes, coupled with his equally sexy body, is enough for any girl to go "yummy!" This former bank employee used to weigh more than 200 pounds before deciding to cut down his weight and join the Century Tuna search for models where he won the title Super Bod. Now, Kapitan Boom enjoys his sexy, light, 178-pound body with his 6-foot one frame. He says he doesn't want to go back to his 200-plus pound weight again, and we're sure a lot of his fans agree with him.
8. Robin Padilla. Gay showbiz reporters can't get enough of Robin's Joaquin Bordado publicity photos. The photos of the GMA-7 2008 action-telefantasya were so sexy, some of the reporters did not even give them to the tabloids and magazines they work for. Some women find Robin unappealing in photos because of his long hair, visible body scars and tattoos. But some women testify—especially, the actresses Robin worked with—that once you get to know the "Bad Boy of Philippine Cinema" you just can't help but be swept away by his charm and machismo.
7. Kiko Rustia. We are always intrigued when we see something different or strange. Kiko Rustia is no exception to those things that intrigue us. The rugged, dreadlocked one was once featured as one of the hottest bachelors in a local women's magazine, and with good reason. Kiko is a total head-turner.
6. JC Tiuseco. The "Hardcourt Heartthrob" won the Survivor Philippines's Sole Survivor title and a lot of hearts at the same time. With his killer smile and sexy abs, JC will surely make a lot more hearts throb in the near future as he continues to model and enter the world of show business.
5. Paolo Contis. At the Cosmoplitan 2008 Bachelors Bash show, Paolo walked the ramp and successfully conquered his fear of getting booed or receiving a bland reaction from the audience. In spite of his fear, Paolo brought the house down and had a very warm welcome from the Cosmo audience when he came out shirtless and wet. The water dripping down his torso only highlighted his well-defined body, the result of his hard work and dedication in the gym.
4. JC de Vera. After his "Pretty Boy" episode in this year's Obra show of GMA-7, JC's image changed from a plain leading man to hot and sexy leading man. JC had been working out, even before his sexy episode and the very warm reaction from the audience as he ramped shirtless in the Bench/ Blackout Denim and Underwear Show.
3. Sam Milby. With his washboard abs and finely chiselled chest, Sam made the Bench/ Blackout Denim and Underwear Show audience clap and scream as he walked out and proudly displayed his bodacious body. And to think this talented Fil-Am model turned actor once tried and failed at his shot in modelling and showbiz before getting his big break as one of the Pinoy Big Brother housemates in 2005!
2. Piolo Pascual. One writer commented that even after Piolo decides to quit showbiz, he will always be on the sexiest male list. The writer reasoned that Piolo is the quintessential sexy man—angelic face, lean, sexy body, a likeable attitude and "mysterious" personality. These traits draw admiration from both women and men.
1. Dingdong Dantes. Being hailed as the 3rd Sexiest Male in the world by E! Entertainment Television in Hollywood is a big deal. The majority of respondents PEP asked for this survey, put the Kapuso hunk on top as the sexiest male celeb in local showbiz, hands down. Being the most applauded and most well-received celebrity model in the Bench/ Blackout Denim and Underwear Show added a lot to Dingdong's already phenomenal rise as a sex symbol. Gone are the days when he used to be known as the cute, boy-next-door, with kissable, puffy cheeks, Iñaki in TGIS (Thank God It's Sabado). After playing Sergio in Marimar and Fredo in Dyesebel, he is now known as Dingdong Dantes, the sexiest man in local showbiz.
Last Sunday on ASAP '09, Apl.De.Ap performed with by Billy Crawford and Sarah Geronino their first collaboration titled "You Can Dream."
Billy, Sarah and Apl alternately sang the lyrics of "You Can Dream" and during the chorus, Billy sang:
You can dream
It also has a Tagalog portion with lyrics that go:
Apl also performed another cut from his new album titled "Island" which he first performed for Filipinos during the MYX Music Awards that took place in March 2008.
He also asked for everyone's help in raising funds for the Apl Foundation.
See video performances below:
Yesterday afternoon on ASAP '09, Billy Crawford and Nikki Gil performed Rihanna's 'Hate That I Love You' with too much spark and passion that made people wonder and ask "Sila na ba talaga?"
See video below and you be the judge:
Angel rendered a sexy dance number as part of the promotion for her upcoming movie 'Love Me Again (Land Down Under)' opposite Piolo Pascual.
Love Me Again is produced by Star Cinema and is set to hit theatres nationwide on January 15.
When I Met U is part of GMA Films and Star Cinema's exchange deal to make the team-up from two rival stations possible.
Their first team-up was Star Cinema’s 'For the First Time' which became 2008's 3rd biggest Pinoy movie with a box-office gross of 134.7 million pesos.
When I Met U is scheduled to hit movie theaters nationwide on February 11, 2009.
Watch teaser trailer of 'When I Met U' below: